Monday, May 2, 2011

Dancing in the Streets!

Wow!  What a day … or night to be in Washington DC!  Doc and I were watching “West Coast Customs”
when we heard a group of people drive by honking their horns and yelling out the windows.  We couldn’t tell what they were saying, but you could hear the excitement in their voices.  I figured that their team just won a big game or something and ignored it.  Then another car drove by doing the same.  We looked out our hotel room window and saw across the street that many people in the apartment building were also peering through their windows.  As we were getting up to look out the window accidently flipped the channel to CNN and there was the news:


President Obama made his official announcement shortly after.  It is an amazing feeling to be sitting in a hotel literally 5 blocks directly behind the White House, and to be able to hear from here the occasional cheer from the ever growing crowd wafting through the air. 
 
As I looked out the window more and more people started hitting the streets walking toward the White House and yelling and cheering and honking horns as they went. 

0501 bin laden reax 3


I wanted to join them so bad… but I had three sleeping children happily oblivious to the joy that the death of this evil man has brought to the world.

It took me a while to finally peal my eyes off the news of the spontaneous celebrations busting out in Times Square and Ground Zero, but I knew that I had to get some sleep… whether I liked it or not the children would be up and ready to go in the morning, and I was going to have to be awake enough to watch them.

At around 2:00am I finally drifted off to sleep to the sounds of air horns, car horns, and cheering.

I’m making the boys work on their homework this morning while Doc is at his convention, and once they are done we are going to walk over to the White House and join in the experience there. 

What an amazing time to be in Washington DC.  It is not often that there are parties and cheering and celebrating in the streets here rather than protests and tension.  I’m so grateful that my children and I get to be here for this amazing moment in history.

I’ll take lots of pictures and when I get home I’ll upload them and share them here… maybe my cell phone can post some for me… hummmm…  I’ll figure it out, and post another blog entry tonight!

Have a wonderful day… I know I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment