Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Dancing off to Dreamland

It is freezing outside, and the school called another “Snow Day”. 
My boys were ecstatic.   I was not… at first.  Then, before I pouted about my grocery shopping day being interrupted, I thought, “How can I turn this into a good thing?”  And then I knew exactly what would make it a perfect morning.
                        I rolled over and went back to sleep.
What made the morning even better?  My children didn’t wake me up!  I don’t know when the last time was that I was able to sleep until I naturally woke up.  It was Amazing!
            There is nothing like waking up to a little bit of sun shine on your face.  Stretching your legs and rubbing your toes against the warm sheets, and hearing your kids playing quietly down the hall… well, they were watching cartoons… but the volume was low and that in and of its self is amazing.  I went in to check on them and there they were all cuddled on the couch in a blanket. 
            Today I’m so grateful for blankets.
As I type this my boys are back on the couch cuddled up asleep with “The Biggest Looser” finale lingering in the background. 
            Blankets in our home are cherished as cuddle tools, but they are also much more.  They are the capes that are tied around super heroes’ necks. 


They are the perfect hide-and-seek cover for a 3 year old.  They are the comforter that goes with them to sleepovers, and holds them when Mom cannot.  They are a bumpy sled that always generates laughs as children bop down the stairs.  They are a prison that boys tie their sister up in… well… maybe that’s not a good thing.  … But at the end of the day, I’m so grateful that as the snow continues to fall outside, I have blankets to tuck my children into.  And the last conscious thing I will do tonight, is let my toes stretch softly against my warm blanket as my mind dances off to dreamland.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post!! It made me laugh and smile. I am going to try and dance today in our "snow day" too. You are an inspiration. You were inspired to find Florence's autobiography, look what you have done with it. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete