Monday, December 27, 2010

A Little History


How quickly the time goes.  Dad had to go back to work today, his Christmas break is over. 
Doc is an OB/GYN resident physician.
He is amazing.                                      
He’s the kind of guy that every girl dreams of meeting, and every parent hopes their daughter marries. 
I met Doc my first day at college.  I moved into a little apartment with my sister and two roommates, and while we were organizing everything a sweet 1964 Chevy II Nova pulled up, and out steps 2 good looking guys. 
Coincidentally my roommates were from the same town as these guys, and that night they introduced us.  Doc was the oldest of the 4 guys rooming there.  He was 21, which to me, a 17, almost 18 year old girl, was pretty mature. 
I’ll go into details later, but after I ended a relationship with my boyfriend of 2 years I decided to try the single life for a while. 
I started dating Doc the next day.
We were engaged about 4 weeks later.
We were married on January 14, 2000, after only a 7 week engagement.  We both believed in waiting until we were married so… we didn’t want to wait too long.  J
We were planning on waiting on children for a few years, so I could finish school, and so we could have some time together. 
We were pregnant 2 months after we were married. 
We learned early that not everything goes as planned.
While I was going through a rough pregnancy, I was throwing up about 14 times a day on average, and had to go to the hospital and get hooked up to I.V’s, Doc quit his job at the tire shop and decided to go back to school.  It was a great decision.
While taking some anatomy classes he came home with the funniest statement.  “Hey!  Did you know that the human body works a lot like the engine of a car?!”  Then he gave some similarities, like:  being able to bypass a clogged artery just like you can bypass a clogged fuel filter.  Then he hit me with this, “I think I want to be a doctor.”
Really?  Didn’t you have to be a genius like Doogie Howser to be a doctor? 
But, playing the supportive newlywed wife I said, “Sure you can!”  While honestly thinking that he would give up on that after a few classes.
I couldn’t have been more wrong.
I have learned so much about Doc sense then… when he puts his mind to something, he gets it done.
Our road has taken us from Thatcher Arizona, where we met,

To Tucson Az. Where we lived for only 4 months.  Then on to Sierra Vista Arizona where we worked, Doc went to the community college, and little Droid was born. 

Then we were off to ASU for 4 years while he worked for an undergrad as nutrition major, and I worked as a waitress to get him through.  Little Oz was born there.

Then miracle of miracles, he was accepted to medical school in Virginia, and we moved our little family across the country.  We lived in Virginia for a wonderful and very hard 4 years, and our little princess was born there.


Now we are here in Ohio for a 4 year residency. 

We have 2 ½ years to go.  And I have no idea where we will end up next.  It’s been a very long road. 
Next month we celebrate our 11th anniversary.  It’s amazing how fast the time flies… and how slowly it sometimes drags on.
But we’ve learned to take it a day at a time.  A semester at a time.  Or a rotation at a time.  We always have hope that the next phase will be a little easier. 
We haven’t always been right about that.
But we always hope.  And hold onto each other for support. 
Everyone has their trials, and everyone has their blessings.  He is absolutely one of my greatest blessings.  In 10 years we’ve never had a fight.  He is still my best friend.  And I’m still his.  At the end of the day, after the bed time stories are read, and the prayers said, and the kiss good-nights.  He is the one I most look forward to cuddling up with. 
I’m so grateful for him.  And I hope he gets feeling better soon… he has to work a 30 hour shift in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment