Saturday, December 18, 2010

Sewing up Smiles.

I would do pretty much anything for my friends.  I have been blessed with the best friends in the world.  It's hard living so far from family, but when you have a few close friends, you really don't feel so alone. 

I met 'Jewel' my first day at church a year and a half ago when we moved to Ohio.  She was the friendliest person I'd ever met.  We clicked right away, and have been stuck at the hip ever sense.  She has two beautiful girls who are about the same age as my boys, and they have the same type of personalities.  We've all definitely been torn from the same cloth.

I've known for a while that Jewel and her family has been pretty tight financially.  We've all been hit by the recession in one way or another, but I think it's hit her especially hard.  It broke my heart when I learned that she didn't have a tree skirt or stockings for her family.  I knew I didn't have much money to buy them all presents this year... but I sure as heck could sew them up a few things.

So... I ran to JoAnn's (I swear I could drop a million dollars in that store!) and spent at least an hour pouring over all their fabric looking for the ones that best fit their personalities... and that blended well together.  After finding some cute prints I went to work and sewed up a tree skirt, and four matching stockings.

Then I had to think of something for her girls.

Hummmm... well... what girl doesn't like having a cute new bag? 

So, I went to work and sewed up a couple cute church bags, complete with crayon holders so they can carry their scriptures, and maybe a coloring book in it just in case they get a little bored.  :-)

I wrapped it all up and stuck them under my tree. 

I knew I was going to be watching the girls this afternoon so Jewel could run some errands.  When they came over they looked at the tree and saw the two presents right in front with their names on them.  They were so excited.  They wanted to open them right away, and I told them to ask their Mom... she said "Yes", so I got too see them open up their little bags.  They were so excited.  They were both pink with pink flowers accenting them, and to make sure they could tell them apart I embroidered their first initial on the front corner of the bag.  I'll try to upload a picture tomorrow... I'm just too stink'n tired to do it tonight.

Anyway, I was glad they liked them. 

This was a great reminder to me that by investing just a little time and effort to help, serve, or create something for someone else, not only makes someone else feel happy and loved... but it sure makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside too.

Today go and see if there isn't something you can do for someone else.  This dishes, a back rub (boy I could use one of those) or maybe just make a phone call to someone.  It will make your heart dance. 

I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment