Sunday, December 26, 2010

Where Can I Turn For Peace?

The world can be so confusing, busy, hectic, and even scary some times.  There is so much uncertainty.  There are so many things that all of us are searching for, but I think most of our deepest longings are to have Peace.
Many think that if we could only gain this one personal possession, then we would finally have peace.
Some feel that if they could only have that one job that would give more money, or more respect, then they will be at peace.
For others it is to find a spouse, or if only they could have a baby, then they would find peace.
I think that most Mother’s think that if they could only have a moment to themselves, of complete silence, then they could feel peace… surely we can’t feel peace in a room full of noisy children.
Everyone is searching for peace in different places, because all of our needs, and desires are different… we are after all, completely different people coming from different backgrounds.
However, no matter how different we may be, peace for all of us can be found in one place. 
Jesus Christ.
Jesus is the Prince of Peace, and He taught us how to find it. 
I’ve just spent over an hour reading talks and scriptures discussing peace and how to find it.  I wish I were a more eloquent writer, and I wish I had more time to write about this topic, but my time is running short.  I have little boys who need to be tucked in and a story read to them.
I think it comes down to this.  We can only feel and find peace if we are willing to be open to the spirit of peace, and willing to create an environment for the spirit of peace to exist. 
When I get tired, or stressed, or a little too busy I need to “Be still and know that I am God.”
When I become frustrated about finances and start thinking that I need a certain thing to bring me ease, or comfort, I need to remember the Master told me, “Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:  “But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:  “For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”

When my heart is turned to loved ones I have lost, and begin to mourn them again, I need to remember the Lord’s beautiful words, “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.  I go to prepare a place for you … ; that where I am, there ye may be also.” 
They are in His care.  They are at peace… so I can be at peace too.


The words of the scriptures are so comforting, and when I read them I always feel a gentle peace fill me up whispering that the words are true.
I hope that all of us can find the peace that the angel proclaimed 2010 or so years ago to the shepherds on a hillside.  “For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder; and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counselor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.”

No comments:

Post a Comment