Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lessons from Cystic Fibrosis

The internet is such a cool thing.  Through facebook I've been able to get back in touch with old friends from school and college, and many of the wonderful people I've met while moving around the country.

Today my friend Brittany e-mailed me a link to a blog that a husband and wife keep together about their ups and down with Julie's (the wife's) cystic fibrosis.

When you get a chance please read this blog.

 
Julie was been waiting for a lung transplant, and has just recently received her new lungs. 
 
Their faith through all the ups and downs is amazing.  Their strength gives me hope and strength.
 
My brother and amazing sis-in-law have 5 children.  Their 2 youngest have cystic fibrosis.  The youngest isn't even a year old yet.  She is the cutest and sweetest little girl.  The boy is 4 years old now and has the best pair of blue eyes you've ever seen.  One look from him and he melts your heart.
 
I went home to Arizona last summer (I hadn't been able to go in 4 years) and stayed with my brother for a month while visiting everyone down there.  I've fallen in love with their whole family.  They are fun, and ridiculously musically talented.  They don't watch much t.v., but prefer to spend their time playing games and building roller coasters and ferris wheels with the Kinex set.  But, 4 times a day little Ty has to take a break, do a breathing treatment, and strap on a vest that "pats" his back to help break up the mucus in his lungs.  He has a pretty bad case of it from what I've heard.
 
I pray for him.
 
I pray for his parents who work around the clock for his care. 
 
He's a fighter though.  He's feisty and independent and adventurous and all boy.  He's beautiful inside and out. 
 
I wish I lived closer so I could play hide and seek and peek-a-boo with him more. 
 
None of us know how long we are going to be here on this earth.  We could have years, or hours left to live.  But ultimately that doesn't matter.  What matters is how we choose to live in the time that we have.
 
What legacy will we leave for our posterity? 
 
What will my children remember about me?
 
Did I complain too much about the spilled cereal, or the missing socks? 
 
Did I read enough stories and give enough kisses?
 
I'm deeply grateful that I've been so very blessed with health, and even more blessed that my husband and children are also very healthy people.  I must remember not to take that forgranted, and remember that although we are healthy today, you never know... 
 
So, today I'll dance and celebrate and be grateful for the health of my family... and pray that it continues.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment