Wednesday, February 2, 2011

I'll Take my Washing Machine Please

As I sit here I’m listening to the beautiful, quiet swishing of my washing machine gently cleaning my clothes for me.  The dryer is tumbling and I’m sitting here relaxed, grateful that it’s so easy to do my laundry.

Not too many years ago my Grandmother had to do her laundry by hand using an old scrub board.  The thought still baffles me.  Laundry in my house accumulates so quickly.  I have a hard time staying on top of it while doing at least one load a day.  I can’t comprehend the amount of time and labor it took for those girls only a few years back who had to do it all by hand… and then still have to fold it all and put it away. 
And come to think of it, they had to make their own bread, and clean up after kids the same as I do.  They really didn’t have any extra time on their hands at the end of the day.

They must have been exhausted!

As much as I don’t like doing laundry, I really can’t complain about it.  All the hard work is being down as I sit here leisurely typing.  My life is, by comparison, so much easier. 

I’m making a commitment to myself, and to all the girls who had to scrub their clothes on a hard washboard, that I will no longer complain about how hard doing the laundry is again.  It’s disrespectful to those who came before me… and really it just shows how spoiled I am.

I’m so grateful to Louis Goldenberg who invented the first electric washing machine.

BTW… I was surprised to find that hand crank washing machines have been around sense 1691!  Just thought I would share that tidbit of knowledge with you… courtesy of Wikipedia

So as I hear my wash entering the rinse cycle I would like to do a happy dance for this wonderful machine that is doing my work for me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment