Sunday, January 30, 2011

Who Knew I Could Get So Much Done While Reading?!

I have many interests and hobbies.  Not the least of which is reading.  I love curling up on my couch wrapped up in a throw and getting lost in a book. 

.  I’ve read almost all the cult classics like “Harry Potter”, “Twilight”, and now I’m reading the “Percy Jackson” series to my boys as a bed time story.  I also enjoy autobiographies, especially of those who lived in Europe during World War II.  They are so hard to read, but the story of how average people found deeper strength during unimaginable trials is vey inspiring to me. 

I think my favorite genre of reading is Historical Fiction.  I get to read a fantastic story and learn so much about different time periods as well.  I guess sense I never got to finish going to college it makes me feel like I can still learn a little here and there, but it’s so much more entertaining than your average textbook. 

Lately I’ve been wanting to get to the library and pick up another book, but my daughter lost a little board book, and a Dora DVD, and because I have yet to find them… or pay for them, I’m avoiding going to the library until I have the extra money to make things right there.  Not only that, but it seems that every time I get a new book the house goes to pot.  I try to cook and read at the same time, or fold laundry and read and neither really work well… so I resolve to sit down and just finish the book so I can get back to the house.  After a couple of days the book is done, but then I’m way behind on everything else.  So, I googled, “Free MP3 audio books” and found a website that lets me download them to my mp3 player!

There were many titles there that I’ve never read, mainly because they are all “classics”.  Now, I’m not against classics, but I have to admit I could only take so much of Jane Austin until my mind would go nuts trying to figure out her old time language.  I inevitably traded those books for something a little more modern. 

However, lately I’ve wanted to read some of these books that everyone else seems to love.  I did make it all the way through “A Tale of Two Cities” a few months ago, and was very proud of myself.  Not only did I finish it, but I understood what was going on!  Wahoo!

So, knowing that I was probably the only girl in my book club who hasn’t read “Pride and Prejudice” I downloaded it. 

I LOVE my mp3 player!  It took me a while to figure out how to use it right, but it is amazing how freeing it is!  It’s multitasking to the next level!  While listening to the drama between Jane and Mr. Bingley

I was able to fold 4 loads of laundry. 

While Mr. Collins was brown nosing Lady Katharine

I tidied up Little Princess’s room. 


As the truth came out about the devious Mr. Wickham,


I organized all the clutter in my kitchen and scrubbed it until it shined. 


As the Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth finally swallowed their Pride and admitted that they loved each other

I put the last of the toys in the play room away. 

My house was clean.

My book was done. 

I finished Pride and Prejudice.  And I really enjoyed it!  It was so much easier to understand the language when someone else was reading all the words correctly!

Now I’m on to Jane Eyre. 

.  I’m “reading” all these amazing books… and my house hasn’t looked this good in a long time! 

I guess my mp3 player can make me do the happy dance, even when it’s not playing any music!

No comments:

Post a Comment